Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Shakin' Surf!

Yesterday I experienced something that I have never experienced before. We had gone to Zuma to enjoy another great day at the beach here in sunny California. We had only been at the beach less than an hour, kids were in the water having fun and I was sitting on the shore with my friends (Lori and Kaye) chatting away when all of a sudden we felt the earth moving. We were having an earthquake! Now I have experienced many earthquakes, living in CA all of my life but I have never felt one while I was at the beach, this was a first for me. It was a very different feeling having no buildings around, at first I thought what a great place to be in an earthquake. But then panic set in and I am thinking "How big was the earthquake? and "Where was it centered?" and "Doesn't earthquakes in the ocean cause huge tsunamis?" Yes, these are the things I was thinking of as I was trying to get through to Adam on my cell phone but found there was no service. The thought crossed my mind that maybe we should leave but that thought quickly passed and we stayed at the beach and had an enjoyable day. It was a very different experience and I thought how ironic that while I was enjoying the beach, one of the things I love about living in CA I was also experiencing an earthquake, one of the things I hate about CA. But all in all the great day at the beach outweighed the panic from the earthquake. This time!

6 comments:

Heather said...

I was thinking about you guys yesterday with the earthquake. What better place to be.

Kim said...

I've wondered if an earthquake is that noticable at the beach. My girls didn't care all that much. They just thought the hanging light swinging was funny and went to stand under it (after the ground stopped moving of course).

Jo said...

Isn't it funny that we didn't think much about it and continued to have a great day at the beach? And did you know that was the biggest earthquake we've had since the Northridge quake? I heard that on the news this morning. Anyway, I'm glad you guys stayed at the beach. It was a good time!

McB's said...

that's why AZ is so nice cuz we have no earthquakes, tsunames, tornadoes, nothing...well except the monsoon that can flood but whatever, that's only 2 months out of the year so actually in that way i love it here cuz earthquakes were SO scary for me! i hope all is well with everyone in CA!

Kaye said...

I am so glad there was not a tsunami, that would have so ruined our day! It was kind of a cool experience....since we know nobody got hurt.

Me said...

I was thinking yeah good place to be... until you said Tsunami... glad you guys were ok and had fun at the beach.
I am with Lisa... AZ definately has some perks! Namely no Earthquakes!