Thursday, May 8, 2008

Is That Joseph?

Matthew had the opportunity to portray Joseph Smith for another Wards lesson earlier this year. He memorized the first vision and the teacher wanted him to act as if he was Joseph Smith and this incredible thing had happened to him. Matthew being 14 years old and having a resemblance to the Prophet Joseph Smith really made quite the impact on the class. Just in Matthew practicing at home brought tears to my eyes to realize that Joseph Smith was at such a young age when he was searching for the right church and had the faith to kneel in the Sacred Grove and ask for guidance. It truly is amazing! It was quite the experience for Matthew to be able to portray the prophet and left an impact on him and a greater appreciation for Jospeh Smith. I know that we have heard the First Vision over and over but it definitely makes an impact everytime I read it!



He kind of looks like him, at least the Jospeh Smith actor from the old movie. I think the actors name was Stuart Petersen, he also played the boy in the movie "Where The Red Fern Grows". Just a bit of trivia there.

5 comments:

Heather said...

he does look like a perfect JS. What a great experience for him to do that.

Robbie said...

I had no idea Mathew was the same age...makes you stand in awe at thr prophet. Great job mathew!

McB's said...

I LOVE Where the Red Fern Grows! I read it in school a long long time ago, hehe. I bet that was fun for him to be in. :)

Jo said...

You got to hand it to those "celestial" Walden boys. Seriously, that is so cool! I'm in awe. Totally cool. You must be so proud.

Suzanne said...

Whoa, he does look like Joseph.

The "new" JS story has Nathan Mitchell playing Joseph. He was in my ward growing up, a few years younger than me. It's a little funny to watch the movie because I knew him as a little kid.